How can companies tailor their ads to the generation of the future?
In the constantly changing digital marketing world, knowing your consumer is more vital than ever. The large 14-34 age group, which will soon grow to be the largest living generation, is perhaps the most important of these with its heavy consumption of digital and online content and acute awareness of changing trends.
Encompassing both Millennials/Generation Y (b.1980-1994 tech savvy generation) and some Generation Zs (b. 1995+ the generation born completely within the technology age), this group represents the present and future of consumption. By 2020, Generation Z alone will account for 33% of all consumers, which makes understanding their habits and engaging with them now more important than ever. (1)
Marketing to this generation can be difficult at times, so you have to engage them, where they already are, which is on their smartphone. For the young generation it’s already natural to purchase things on mobile.
So what should advertisers keep in mind when marketing to Generation Y & Z?
1. App Focus
We are only in the initial stages of the mobile age but no generation has embraced it as quickly as the 14-34 age group. Millennials are mobile pioneers (the early adopters of the smartphone) while Generation Zs are mobile native, having never known a world without being constantly connected or without smartphones. A new report has discovered that apps account for 89% of mobile media time, with the remaining 11% spent on websites. (2) This figure is only set to grow in the coming years and highlights how important it is for advertisers’ strategies to revolve around mobile and in particular app advertising.
Growth in mobile shopping
Generation Zs are also fuelling the growth in online shopping, particularly on mobile devices. Shopping on apps allows them to have their own personal shopping experience at their fingertips. People below the age of 18 are 11% more likely to search on shopping apps like Shpock for specific things than older generations. (3) The younger age group knows what it’s looking for and are more used to all features of apps. This opens up a great opportunity for advertisers to engage with a growing consumer base.
2. Personalised Story
The 14-34 age group is not opposed to in-app ads according to a Nielsen report, 46% understand the necessity of them. This increases to 75% when the content they’re viewing is free. (4) However, one of the hallmarks of Millennials & Generation Zs is that they have grown up in a time where they can find anything they want or need online. They know exactly where to look and as a result ads need to be personalised and tell a story they can relate to in order to grab their attention.
3. Relevant at the right moment
This generation is twice more likely to convert online than any other generation. 55% of Generation Z prefer to shop for clothing online. (5) When on smartphones and marketplace apps, this segment is clearly already in a shopping mood and more receptive to the message of mobile ads and their offers. It is essential for mobile ads to be relevant and correctly placed at the right moment to capitalise on this. 23% of respondents to a survey asking the mobile generation what the perfect mobile ad needed, stated it should be relevant in terms of proximity and location. (6)
4. Short and Concise
According to a recent study, Generation Zs have an attention span of eight seconds or less in relation to content. (7) This means your ad content must be attention grabbing, direct and meaningful or risk the losing the consumer’s interest. This can be seen very clearly with the success of Instagram & Snapchat stories. Millennials and Generation Z’s are happy to absorb ad content but in short quick bursts before moving on to their next endeavour. Making sure your ad is quick, unique and personalised to them is the key to success.
5. Real Faces
Traditional advertising has positioned celebrities as the key individuals to drive consumer engagement. However, recent trends show this is no longer applicable to Generation Z. 63% stated that they prefer to see real people in advertisements—not celebrities. (8) More and more it is influencers who are becoming the real role models of this generation. 92% trust an influencer more than a traditional celebrity endorsement. (9) With this knowledge, it is imperative for advertisers to ensure their ads really speak to the consumer, that they have a peer-to-peer rather than a celebrity-to-consumer feeling.
About Shpock – the marketplace of the new generation
Shpock is a mobile marketplace that brings millions of private buyers and sellers and local businesses together. Shpock has more than 10 million active users and over 2 billion page impressions. These numbers and regular #1 rankings in the App & Google Play Store in 6 countries (UK, Germany Italy, Austria, Sweden and Norway) make Shpock one of Europe’s most dominant shopping apps.