Ad fraud in mobile advertising and what you can do about it
According to current forecasts, ad fraud will cost advertisers 19 billion US dollars in 2018. The number is estimated to continue to rise up to 44 billion dollars by 2020. Ad fraud is on its way to becoming one of the largest criminal business models worldwide (Juniper Research, 2017). Since this problem is spreading so fast it has become even more important to deal with this topic within the advertising business. We will give you an overview of the different types of ad fraud and explain why it is essential to find the right partners for booking ads directly.
What is ad fraud?
Ad fraud refers to the fraud of mobile advertising by either manually or automatically faking ad performance. This includes impression fraud, referring to faked ad impressions, as well as the manipulation of ad clicks, also called click fraud. Due to the increasing use of mobile devices and the associated strong shift from traditional advertising platforms to mobile devices, these platforms are also becoming increasingly attractive for fraud. Mobile advertising technology is being exploited, advertisers are being fooled by wrong numbers causing large amounts of their advertising budget to be stolen by fraudsters.
The most common types of ad fraud include:
- Bot-driven Frauds: So-called bot networks initiate false ad impressions and therefore distort the actual clicks.
- Placement Frauds: Manipulated visual layouts of ads and their implementation initiate unintentional clicks from real users resulting in worthless clicks for advertisers.
- Ad stacking: This is another form of placement fraud. Several ads are sold for one single placement and the ads are “stacked” on top of each other, distorting the actual click rates.
Depending on the criminal energy, there are other forms of ad fraud as well. The so-called fraudsters keep coming up with new and more sophisticated forms of digital advertising fraud, making mobile advertising even more challenging.
How can ad fraud be avoided?
To avoid the ever increasing danger of ad fraud, there is one thing that is crucial: find secure partners! Brand safety is one of the most important criteria when it comes to booking mobile advertising and avoiding ad fraud. A secure environment guarantees reliable ad impressions and clicks. In addition, you should also pay attention to the following:
- Book directly: avoid booking your ads via third parties. With this, you can ensure that your ads are actually displayed on the right platform according to the actual amount you booked.
- Pay attention to a transparent price & product composition
- Transparent reporting: This distinguishes reputable and reliable advertising platforms and partners from others.
- Clear labelling: Check the integration of your ads to avoid misleading layouts.
The fight against ad fraud will play an increasingly important role in the advertising industry in the near future. That is why it is especially important to focus on professional partners from the beginning and to make the right decision when selecting an advertising platform in order to avoid click fraud and achieve the desired results.
About Shpock – the marketplace of the new generation
Shpock is a mobile marketplace that brings millions of private buyers and sellers and local businesses together. Shpock has more than 10 million active users and over 2 billion page impressions. These numbers and regular #1 rankings in the App & Google Play Store in 6 countries (UK, Germany Italy, Austria, Sweden and Norway) make Shpock one of Europe’s most dominant shopping apps.